We’re looking for an ambitious, enthusiastic and design-minded web developer, probably someone with 5+ years experience.
Working closely with our designers to bring digital experiences to life, you’ll also have a mentoring role, helping to expand and nurture our dev team over the next few years.
Our projects come in many shapes and sizes, but primarily you’d be doing creative frontend and some backend work on our family of Craft CMS websites, including Craft Commerce and Shopify ecommerce builds.
We welcome applicants from any background. You don’t necessarily need to tick off all of the requirements below, or have formal qualifications – you just need to be a great web developer.
Graphical House is a brand and design consultancy, founded in 2002 and working with clients in Scotland and beyond. We create and transform brands by joining the dots between design, content and technology.
We’re a design-lead team (currently comprising 8 people) so it’s crucial that you’re a good communicator and team player, as well as being inquisitive and self-motivated.
Note: whilst we are keen to embrace flexible working patterns, once our studio in the centre of Glasgow re-opens we’d imagine you spending at least 2 days a week working from your desk there.
- Build and maintain front-end templates and back-end servers
- Architecting robust, client-friendly content structures (mostly in Craft CMS)
- Communicating directly with clients to scope out new projects, resolve technical issues, and conduct CMS training
- Leading the creation and evolution of our best practices and internal code documentation
- Testing and debugging errors across major browsers
- A strong eye for design detail, and the ability to find your way around Sketch!
- Creative frontend coding skills — the extra sprinkles that bring a website to life
- Be able to estimate and track your time, and meet deadlines
- Ability to write lean, maintainable code, and to jump in and maintain existing projects quickly (we have some legacy websites running a custom CMS on Heroku)
- Experience working with a version control system (Git)
- Experience with functional CSS frameworks (Tailwind or similar)
- Workflow automation with Webpack, Node, etc
Nice to have
- Experience with Craft CMS and Twig templating, ideally Craft Commerce too.
- Devops experience (Primarily we run a simple stack of Linode servers with Nginx, MySQL and PHP, all managed via Laravel Forge)
- A friendly, open and collaborative working environment
- Flexible working (we are also currently trialling a 9‑day fortnight)
- Company pension
How to apply
If you’re interested, please send your CV and a cover letter explaining why you are perfect for the job to firstname.lastname@example.org, including links to at least 3 live projects.
Salary and terms are negotiable. No recruiters please.
Start date: February, if possible.